Wednesday, February 13, 2008

This And That

Tonight I was poking around the Internet and I noticed that the theatre at Furman University in Greenville, SC is performing "Proof" by David Auburn. It won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Drama and the 2001 Tony Award for Best Play. I've heard so much about this play... I'd really like to see it and see if it's worthy... I'm mulling it over for the weekend... I'm definitely going to a race in Athens (a non-thinking event so of course that's confirmed...) ... so that'll be a bit of driving... (more mindlessness, so yeah, that's doable...), but it could work out.... er... if... uh, I was up to the content of the play.... I hear it's intellectually rigorous. At the end of the day? Should I see Fool's Gold instead? Can my tired, underachieving brain cells... handle a Pulitzer Prize winner? Time will tell, probably on me. At any rate, for you adventuresome types, the box office phone number isite is: 294-2125 and the website is: http://facweb.furman.edu/%7Erbryson/dramadept/dramadept.html

the times are February 06-09 & 12-16 - 8 PM, matinee February 10 at 3 PM

I think I've already mentioned this before, but A Streetcar Named Desire is playing at Town and Gown Theatre in Athens, Ga this weekend... this is the last weekend, so if you're going to go... For more info, the website is http://townandgownplayers.org/ I just don't think I can do it. I've seen that movie one too many times. Stellllllllllllaaaaaaaaa! I wonder if The Flintstones ever did a parody? Fred would have made a fine Stanley. And Wilma a great Stella. But Blanche? Would Betty have made the cut? I could totally see Barney as one of the poker buddies. Great, now I've channeled the entire movie through my high speed mental Ipod. Traumatic flashbacks included.

And on the depressing, frustrating writer's front... I found two interesting submission... er make that rejection opportunities lol. But on the positive side,, they sound like great reading experiences...

Check out:

"At Sniplits, we're simply crazy about short stories. We think more of them should be published, and we've decided to do something about it. So, we're working furiously toward launching as a new short story publisher. Our goal is to make Sniplits the single best place to find wonderful, short tales for downloading to your MP3 player, cellphone or whatever. We're accepting and reviewing manuscripts now, and we welcome the work of new as well as established authors."
SNIPLITS - Audio short stories to go
Submission Guidelines: www.sniplits.com
Pays: $30 - $150/story

I collect mini mags and this is one I intend to subscribe to... $4 a year! Can't beat it! Snotty, elitest magazines for the underclasses! That's the price of lunch... in 1994!

Check it out:

Inch is the magazine of short poetry and microfiction. We are currently accepting submissions for our Fall 2006 issue.

Poetry: We are looking for smart, complete poems one to nine lines in length. Don't send us a good line or three-- send us a complete poem that bites, resonates, or sleeps with giants. Submit one to five poems with a cover letter. You may include more than one poem per page provided that you insert ample space in between. We do not accept previously published work or simultaneous submissions. Submit your work to Inch because it belongs in our magazine, not because you're desperate to place it somewhere. All rights revert to the author upon publication, though we will occasionally ask if we may reprint poems in our double-sized spectacular issues. Pays three copies. Submissions that include poems longer than nine lines in length will be read and ignored.

Fiction: Flash fiction. Microfiction. Call it what you will; Inch publishes the finest stories of 750 words or less. Submit one to three stories for consideration. Include a cover letter. All rights revert to the author upon publication, though we will occasionally ask if we may reprint fiction in our microfiction bonanza issues. Pays three copies.

Submissions should be addressed to the fiction or poetry editor's attention.

Mail submissions to:
Inch / Bull City Press
1217 Odyssey Dr.
Durham, NC 27713
E-mail submissions are not accepted.

And thus ends another anemic edition of Run-Write... whatever the name of my blog is...

Good Night!

No comments: