Saturday, March 8, 2008

Today's cultural report is meager, falling far short of the recommended daily allowance of distraction, delight and whimsy. Oh well... tomorrow is another day after all.

Today was all about driving... communing with squirrels in South Georgia. (Long boring story of duty, family obligations, etc.) My road map should have been dotted with excursions into coffeehouses along the way... especially since the March winds have been rattling around the house and keeping me up. (In downtown Hartwell today, I had to fight the urge to look for the whistling teakettle--the sound effects were really impressive!) I only made it into the Green Bean for a delicisio Java Chip blender... and later into The Daily Grind in Statesboro, Ga for a substandard chilled cappuccino. Grind, I love ya, but it's sad when the name of the drink is more interesting than the dreck. The moral of the story seemed to be too much chocolate syrup. Ick, gack, ick. It was like drinking maple syrup. I only wish I had choked on a hair ball. Oh well, the cake I bought was excellent, so no bad reviews there.

Next time I'll be checking out, The Coffeepot in Thomson, Ga (new!), The Good Day Cafe in Waynesboro, Ga (weird hours), Latte-Da and Statesboro Brews in Statesboro, Ga. I've tried Statesboro Brews before (luv it!) but not Latte-Da so my to drink list is still rather long...

I looked at a Kate Nash and Ingrid Michaelson video on Youtube... does that count as partaking in local culture? Well okay maybe not. But at least it shows I'm still have a few inquisitive brain cells.

Tomorrow I may partake of a 5k. I doubt it since I didn't feel like running Friday night and today has been so chillerly (sorry, I feel like making up bad words today. Bad as in unnecessary, unfunny, heh.) I'm not even going to name the 5k since I probably won't do it. Why force myself to cut and paste for no reason? Yes, I feel better already, having saved myself so much effort.

And movies are playing! I took a peek at everything playing in the Anderson/Athens area, and this is what sounded the best:

AmStar Stadium 14 - Anderson
193 Civic Center Boulevard, Anderson, SC, USA - (864) 225-7827

The Bank Job
1hr 50min - Rated R - Suspense/Thriller
1:55 4:25 7:00 9:30 12:05

It's an English movie. Cockney accents, so they say. Take your international hearing aid!


Penelope
1hr 29min - Rated PG - Comedy/Drama/SciFi/Fantasy
3:35pm 5:35 7:35 12:10am

The snout story. I was prepared to ignore the bad make up job on what's her name, but the reviews made me think otherwise.


Regal Starlight Stadium 14
141 Interstate Blvd, Anderson, SC, USA - (864) 222-3808

The Bank Job
1hr 50min - Rated R - Suspense/Thriller
1:25 4:50 7:45 10:20

Atonement
2hr 3min - Rated R - Drama
1:20 4:15 7:00 9:40

Still playing! I must see this oppressively gloomy Brit movie. Why didn't I go when it was raining? A double shot of gloom and doom... it would have been perfect!


Carmike 12 - Athens
1570 Lexington Road, Athens, GA, USA - (706) 354-0584 -

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
1hr 32min - Rated PG-13 - Comedy/Drama
1:00 3:15 5:30 7:45 10:00

Now this is supposed to be interesting... the book that this movie was made from is a forgotten classic, curtesy of Persephone books... or some website that has that same combo of letters. Anyway, I read about the company somewhere. They're collecting the books that never made it back in the day, that should have. Check it out sometime... if... er... I have the right name there... Otherwise get your Google finger ready.

Penelope
1hr 29min - Rated PG - Comedy/Drama/SciFi/Fantasy - IMDb
1:10 3:20 5:30 7:40 9:50

The Bank Job
1hr 50min - Rated R - Suspense/Thriller
1:30 4:10 7:10 9:50


GTC Beechwood 11 Cinemas
196 Alps Road, Athens, GA, USA - (706) 546-1011 -

Penelope
1hr 29min - Rated PG - Comedy/Drama/SciFi/Fantasy
1:10 3:20 5:30 7:40 9:50

The Bank Job
1hr 50min - Rated R - Suspense/Thriller
1:50 4:20 7:05 9:40

And I suppose you can still catch a matinee performance at the Historic Elbert Theatre! Call ahead though to make sure at 706-283-1049. The prices are 10/adv., $12/door. The time is Mar. 9, 2 p.m. The play is Twelve Angry Men presented by The Elberton Bar Association. The play is a legal drama in which a dozen men's prejudices and idiosyncrasies reveal themselves in a polyphonic blitzkrieg of integrity and wit.

Hmm... I wish I could see that... when I get mad, I just turn into a pig... into... Penelope! (I'm seeing a link here...) Sadly I never have any polyphonic blitzkriegs... Where art thou, on aisle 4? Seat D47? Tellest all thy secrets, Elberton Theatre! I must have the latest polyphonic blitzkriegs! Aargh!

So there's a few! Hit the trail and have something to talk about come Monday! Good night!

No comments: